Thread: sahun00 step 6
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 03:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by shaun00 View Post
Given enough internal discomfort ..and im only too happy to make that decision....i feel entirely ready for him to have all of them BUT am i making this decision in my mind only?.....or on a gut level.?

History tells me i swing enormously in this step at times....sometimes the willingness to "remove all" isnt there.......sometimes im cripple with perfectionism .
Although that is a past experience.
Boy do I hear ya Shaun.

This step - particularly the word ALL - has been troublesome for me in the past. If I'm honest and objective about my actions, it would seem I'm not often working this step perfectly either. That's a real killer when I'm my own higher power and I believe me working the steps will keep me sober and happy - because when that's the case...I have to work them perfectly "or else."

Step 6 is, to me, like a cousin to step 1. In 1 I hit bottom (initially) with alcohol......in 6 I hit bottom with me - with the second half of step one albeit from a different angle. So, while they're numbered and we work them in order...6 had given me some additional 1st step experience.......which has led to a "better" 2nd step.....then to a better 3rd step......more complete 4th steps.......and so on with all the other steps, really. How much am I REALLY willing to give up? How much am I REALLY willing to rely upon God? How can I get by if I don't do "this" or "that" anymore? Tough questions for sure.

I too really like the 12&12 when it comes to this one and I use it regularly myself and with my sponsees. This step and the question it poses really does separate the men from the boys........ I'm hoping and working toward being more of a man and less of a boy some day