Old 02-05-2012, 09:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
BHF

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
I don't know where Langkah got the arbitrary number "8" from, but I can see his point somewhat. To his credit, he did say it was open to all, regardless of recovery program, or lack thereof. Perhaps it might be better placed where those "class of [month]" threads are, where they also have that "one year and over" thread?
I have no serious opposition to the proposed thread, I just wanted to point out what I feel to be drawbacks to it. I use what I need/like and let the rest go. And it is stated that it's open to all, regardless of recovery program, or lack thereof, as you point out. But the way the OP reads, it is limited to participation for those with a minimum of 8 years continued sobriety.

My question is, what if someone with 3 years sobriety is either experiencing a similar challenge, or has something to contribute on topic? What sense does it make to try to exclude him from doing so? In my opinion, it is foolish to believe that someone with 30 years sobriety does not sometimes experience the same everyday life situations as the person with 3 years sobriety...or even less. What about the alcholic who relapses after 15 years sober? It happens. Did he not gain enough experience in that 15 years to contribute? Different people come into recovery at different levels - spiritually, emotionally, physically, professionally and financially. I never know what person, from what walk-of-life, in what current circumstances, is going to be able to offer me specific advice or suggestions that would be beneficial. I also never know who I may be able to help....and I won't if I make it appear that they are not welcome to ask.