Old 02-05-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
BHF

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
And of course anyone who has found a solid solution on their own or anywhere at all for at least 8 years is welcome to participate here, and it would sure be great if there are any people without AA involvement who would choose to join in.

A thread where the usual burning issues that newer people have have long ago been settled, where we can leave aside the old boring debates and focus instead on the good stuff and the challenges sobriety allows us to experience.
Hmmm.... so am I to understand that you are starting, or have already at started, a thread limited to persons with a minimum of eight years continued sobriety? Specifically to discuss the benefits and challenges that such continued sobriety presents? It's your right to do so...and to choose as to whom you choose to communicate & associate, but it seems exclusionary and against the purpose of the forum and recovery in general to me. I, admittedly, do not have anywhere near 8 years of continued sobriety and will therefore have to pass. I hope that if I am lucky enough to achieve eight years sober....one day at a time.... that I am of the same opinion.

One of the most important components of my recovery is that regardless of what level of serenity and sobriety I have been able to achieve, I am no different than the newcomer (one drink away from a drunk) and that it is my responsibility to share my experience,strength and hope with those who actively seek it. I can't see how any participation in a thread on a sober-recovery board restricted to "eight year alumni" could help accomplish these goals.