Old 02-03-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
ShaneW

Originally Posted by Grace4 View Post
Hi Shane,
My husband has attempted to quit several times (longest was 2 weeks)...He complained of sleep problems and was up with night sweats, night terrors, the whole bit. Psychiatrist prescribed gabapentin at first (helps with anxiety) and now camprol to help with the sleep. Everyone is different, but he's sleeping MUCH better. Still struggling with the fully quitting part, but at least there's sleep.

Be careful with Ambien as it's a controlled narcotic and can be addictive if used for more than two weeks. Good luck and stay strong!

Thanks. Yeah I HATE the idea of taking Ambien. Ive been getting hypnic jerks/sleep apnea associated jerks that jolt me awake as soon as I am drifting off for past 3 weeks. Even the last couple times I drank before quitting for good 1/30, I would get the jerk-awakes. They started after a prolonged drinking session 1 night followed by a dry night the next with no sleep at all. I was awake 44 hours before I got to my doctor. Anxiety-Insomnia-Anxiety from not drinking-Insomnia vicious cycle. Hence the Ambien. I try each night to sleep natural, and after about 2 hours of jerk-awakes/anxiety I take the Ambien. Who knows, maybe tonight is my lucky night and sleep comes naturally...PLEASE!!!! I took longer walk than usual, so extra tired.

Also doctor mentioned sending me to Psychiatrist for long-term medication (depression) which honestly I cant wait to get started on. Ive had anxiety/depression really since puberty. Always passed it off as shyness or whatever, then came college and alcohol drowned all that stuff. Ive realized I just continued that lifestlyle since college and now am G-D ready to tackle what led me to drink in 1st place. Only problem is doctor progression is slow, I need to be patient. But its hard.