Old 02-01-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ShaneW

Thx for the replies.

Another thing adding to my sleeptime anxiety is the possiblity of sleep apnea. I am quite overweight (6' 350lbs), and always thought I might have apnea because of snoring, but never woke up gasping etc. Both my doctor & my good friend who is a Dr, suspect that I have Obstructive Sleep Apnea and it is contributing to my inability to sleep.

Since I tried going sober 2.5 weeks ago, I have been unable to sleep naturally (ambien). No matter how exhausted I am, as soon as I drift off, one of my body parts spasms (head,arm,leg,chest,foot etc) and I get shocked awake. This never occured until I tried to get sober. And if I dont Ambien, it will go on all night leading to zero sleep.

Anyways just 1 more thing thats adding to my anxiety. Right now, I dont think I could undergo a sleep study to test for apnea, and if you fail to get any sleep during it they make you return for a 2nd (doubling the sleep study cost to $2200).

I pay my own insurance since I was laid off nearly a year ago, and have a high deductible ($2500) in order to lower premium. So the sleep study cost will be all on me. So you can see how being told that a sleep study is needed, but I cant sleep and the cost...anyways, just adding to anxiety.

Also that Ambien can worsen sleep apnea. I feel like I am in a spiral that only leads to a mental hospital...seriously that bad.

thx for any replies, this is helping reading peoples posts...also just keeping my mind busy, to keep anxiety at bay.

The good news, I guess, is that the 1 time I did drink in last 2.5 weeks it did NOT help with my insomnia...and therefore I truly feel no need to drink. For now...fingers crossed