Old 02-01-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ShaneW

3 days sober & insomnia/anxiety has me underwater

I am brand new here. I have been a heavy drinker (6-18+ light beers a night, 2-5 nights per week) since college (13 years), but was always able to take a week or 2 off and feel/sleep fine, save for maybe the 1st night of insomnia.

Its been officially 3 days since I last drank. And the anxiety has led to insomnia which has led to anxiety which has led to panic attacks (2 today).

I had tried to get sober roughly 2.5 weeks ago, sought doctor treatment for the anxiety/insomnia without much results. Ativan helped with anxiety, but not with sleeping. Ambien helped (some) with sleeping, but not with anxiety. Last night the Ambien failed to work and it was 9am before I was able to get 3 hours of restless sleep. (btw I am currently unemployed, adding to anxiety)

Anyways, Im sorry if this post is scattered but so is my mind. I never considered my alcoholism severe enough to require medical detox, as I could always just take a week off and feel fine in past. But right now my anxiety level is off the charts and wondering if anyone else has gone through similar, and maybe hoping for some words of encouragement.

--Shane

PS - Being new to this site, I was unsure if this was proper forum to post this...if not, could someone please direct me the right way? Many Thanks