View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
BackToSquareOne

A technique I found very useful was taken from a mindfulness meditation exercise. What you learn to do through practice is to view any disturbing thoughts as a non-judgemental outside observer. The technique works to one degree or another for almost anything, anger, cravings, fear, depression etc. etc. When a thought is viewed in that way, without attaching any right or wrong to it you come to see it as just a thought or feeling and it seems to lose its power. If I start to see depression comming on I'll view the thoughts behind the feeling , examine them and let them flow out. It's not a cure for depression but it does seem to help.

Mindfulness focuses on what is felt in the present, rather than what was, might be, could be, or should be. I think that what you gain through mindfulness practice is an awarness of your thought process. When a craving is viewed in this way it seems to take the power out of it. It should be noted that cravings fade into nothingness given enough time, the hardest part is dealing with them in early sobriety. Don't know if anyone has ever tried this but it did help me and I still find the technique very useful in dealing with any troubling thought or emotion.

One of the issues I see is that if a newcomer were to read the AA Big Book, then read Rational recovery they would end up totally confused as one refutes the other on many issues. Mindfulness is compatable with anything so in that regard it might be a useful tool to add to your arsenal.