Thread: Built up anger
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chino

Originally Posted by Hollywood79 View Post
His body is fighting him for pills, he's seeing the walls move, lights waving, his blood pressure is through the roof, and his anxiety is getting to the best of him, needless to say he has anxiety disorder already.
Unlike cynical one, I don't think there's anything bad about rapid detox, as long as it's followed up by rehab and medical aftercare.

My RAD did a rapid detox the first time, and I was with her through every step of it, minus the general anesthesia. The opiate receptors in her brain were thoroughly scrubbed while she slept through withdrawals. She woke with no cravings or pain, but she was still left with a chemically unbalanced brain, just like if she went through traditional withdrawals.

All the anxiety that was there before addiction was worse. She had no coping skills and refused to follow up with an addictionologist for meds and therapy, though it was strongly encouraged. She still had an addicts mentality and the memory of the high that never goes away. She relapsed several months later.

It took her being sick and tired of being sick and tired, before she finally reached out for help from an addictionologist. Your husband is no different from every other addict and will do the same when he's ready. That may be tomorrow, it may be three years from now. It may be never.

It didn't take me too long to figure out I had zero control of my RAD's process, but that didn't keep me from trying until I had enough.

I had no intention of 'quitting' my daughter, so I had to learn how to deal with her addiction. It meant letting her own her disease; it did not belong to me. The 12 steps and an addictionologist helped me do that.

For your own well being, please "work the recovery program you wish he would."