View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lost3000
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Question FB, family, friends

Alright everyone, I'm looking for honest, blatant answers. Not that you wouldn't give them. :P

Yesterday I posted on FB something simple, like 30 days. I have close friends who know my struggle and they are all cheering me on. I haven't told others though, like my husband's family, my family, most-coworkers.

My husband's niece posted back and wanted to know why I haven't drank. I ignored it, hoping it'd go away. But she persisted. I finally said I didn't have a simple answer for her. We have a rocky relationship. It's ok now but has been rocky in the past. Not because of alcohol necessarily, but family dynamic problems.

Years and years back, she had a bbq for her kid's bday. It was at a park. My husband, me and another friend were drinking beer. Just sharing a six pack. We weren't drunk or acting out or anything. She flipped out and acted like we were tainting the bbq somehow. It was weird.

Years after that her own husband got pretty beligerent with booze. Not too long after she leaves the guy and goes on a several month partying spree.

My gut reaction to her pestering me on FB was anger. I'm analyzing that. Why anger? Maybe the history is where my anger comes from?

She's very young. Started out extremely young (17) with a husband and 3 kids. So a big part of me thinks she's immature and just doesn't get this stuff.

So my question is: Should I be forthcoming and honest with her? Privately write her and tell her look, I'm an alcoholic. Or should I just let it go and not go there. Telling her has the possible consequence of her telling her family. My husband is not close with his family and has a very rocky relationship with his sister, her mom. I started a poll. Thanks!!