View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
choublak

What has changed.

When I first joined this forum, my current boyfriend was binge drinking and, understandably, I didn't like it. One of the first things I was told, both by loved ones of alcoholics and by recovering alcoholics themselves, was "let him make his decisions for himself". I didn't want to do this, because I thought, at the time, that if I did that, he would just continue to drink anyway. Because that's what they all do, right? They have to hit "rock bottom" and he was/is way too young to hit rock bottom, alcoholics don't hit rock bottom until they are at least 35-40 years old, or so I thought at the time.

I didn't see how he could be an alcoholic because, in my naive mind, alcoholics didn't make it to college, let alone graduate. He also didn't drink every day. Boy did I have a lot to learn.

Not to mention, I didn't want to become single and start dating again, because dating is hard work! I just wanted my sober BF back.

I read and posted, sometimes asking genuine questions, other times giving people unnecessary attitude, but educating myself nonetheless. I read Codependent No More and Under the Influence among other literature.

To Be Continued