Old 01-29-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KimS

Mother of 14 year old who's father has wet brain

Good Morning,
I am looking for information/guidance with explaining to my 14 year old daughter about the condition of her father (my ex husband). He shows all signs of 2nd stage wet brain..her father was in ICU for 2 weeks, moved to a regular hospital room than transferred to a long term care facility. He had been (before being found unresponsive in his bed) a heavy drinker for nearly 35 years. A doctor has not actually used this term for a diagnosis, but from my own medical knowledge & what I have read, in my heart I am sure this is what is going on. He does not remember somewhat recent events, like his mother & sister passing away, things like that. He tells stories of returning from Alaska, (even though he is in a care facility). He can't talk to his daughter on the phone sometime because he is the middle of fighting a war. Plan and simple, psychosis. I feel as though I should treat this almost as if my child has lost a parent. He has no recollection of her childhood. This is a big giant mess & causing severe mental distress on my daughter & me. Any help someone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by KimS; 01-29-2012 at 05:45 AM. Reason: spelling error