View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Viginti

Originally Posted by TheNM11 View Post
I know that post title might sound terrible but it's the awful truth. This is my first every attempt at reaching out to any one, or something about my drinking. I have always liked to drink beer and have enjoyed the taste thoroughly. Well as we all might know beer will make the midsection soggy and so I decided to cut it out.

With all that being said I have recently started drinking liquor with diet soda to help with the carbs/calories. I have dropped 15 pounds and feel a lot better about myself.

This brings me to my point and probably my problem. I have drank liquor to the point where I am drinking 8-12 shots a night. If I try and stop and not do it just one night I FEEL odd. Almost like I am missing something. I know this is not normal. I quit chewing tobbaco years ago and had that same feeling about missing something.

Now, I have a pretty important job and the 12 hours I am at work have ZERO alcohol cravings. As soon as I punch the clock at 6pm I am ready to start hammering. I drink seven days a week and know that if I keep it up it will negatively impact my health, family and general well being.

In closing I CAN NOT imagine my life without alcohol. The way I feel now i'm not sure I can get past that.

If anyone has felt this way please let me know. Maybe I am the weird one.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Post reminds me a LOT of myself when I was drinking. I had the same cycle of feeling weird when I'd skip a day or two, no cravings at work but once home it was time to start doing 12 oz. curls. I always stuck with beer though. Didn't want to quit. Did it for 4 years, 7 days a week, 6-12 beers a night easily.

I quit smoking on January 1st 2008. I knew I was done because the "habit/addiction" had no redeeming qualities to me anymore and I put them down. I lump habit in there with addiction because it's difficult to stop doing something you regularly do daily. That's why you feel "weird", because it is weird to you...

The same happened with drinking and me. I just got tired of it. There were no positives in it. I wasn't having fun with friends partying or anything. I wasn't 24 anymore lol!

I got lucky in that I didn't do any long term damage to my health. The withdrawals were hell and I'm not entirely over them yet. Getting close to 2 months sober now and I'm down 21 lbs thanks to not drinking beer, a nice bout of suicidal depression (part of the withdrawal) and a recent stomach flu, lol.

The feeling weird about not drinking is just like the chewing, it'll go away in a reasonable amount of time once you occupy your time in other ways.