View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SparklingSeven
Idiot!

Is it ok for me to go to AA?

I posted a link for Dawnie to AA meetings in the UK recently. I had a look myself and discovered there was one in my home town I didn't know about.

Now I know the only requirement for membership is a Desire to stop drinking, but do you AA folks think its OK for me to go when I did not use AA to get sober and have been so for nearly 2 years?

I have been to numerous meetings over the last 15 years or so, but was always an in and out kind of person with relapses. Although there are certain aspects of AA I don't 100% agree with, the knowledge gained from meetings, the big book, the steps etc. have been and are a big part of my recovery.

The reason for the question comes from comments I heard made at previous meetings about a guy who had joined AA after 4 years sober - a lot of quite nasty stuff, suggesting he was not alcoholic and had ulterior motives for joining a recovery group at that stage of his "claimed" sobriety? To be fair he was quiet a strange dude but I'm not sure he deserved the comments that were made.

So really I suppose I am nervous going for these reasons, but it would be good to have a face to face chat with some like-minded people again.