View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
lillamy

What is it someone here likes to say, again?
"When people show you who they are, believe them."

My experience has been much like Mike's, that when I changed, my relationships changed, too. I had one very good friend who was always there for me as long as I was married to AXH, but when I left, so did she.

I was disappointed. I was hurt. But I never thought it had something to do with me. I don't know what it was -- maybe she had supported other friends who had left addicts and gone back and she didn't want to go through that again; maybe she was having issues of her own that made it impossible for her to handle a friendship with someone in crisis; maybe she had a migraine...

It's easy to blame ourselves for other people's actions -- let's face it, we're pros at it -- but important, I think, to remember, that for most people, we are not the center of the universe. I can't count how many times someone has behaved in an unexpected (and sometimes hurtful) way toward me, and I have much later found out that I was really just an innocent bystander and the cause of their behavior was something completely unrelated going on in their life.

Another thing I've noticed is that when your relationship status changes, so do your relationships with other people. I have married girlfriends who are only comfortable inviting me to their homes now that I'm in a new relationship (yeah, because at almost 50 and overweight and graying, CLEARLY I'm a man-eating wench trying to steal their husbands away... ). I have married male friends who backed off when I became single (one even said we couldn't be friends because I was single).

So it might not have anything to do with you. You daring to be vulnerable might have triggered something in them. Walk away. They don't want to talk to you, and you don't want to talk to them. Just send them this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BNOL.jpg (18.7 KB, 151 views)