View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

I agree completely with what Mike has said.

The further I got into my own recovery, the more the dynamics changed with family and "friends."

It turns out there are some people who are just downright toxic to me now, and that's okay. They are no longer a part of my life.

I have a right to surround myself with healthy, positive people who enrich my life.

I've watched your progress since you joined SR, and I don't think you give yourself nearly enough credit for how far you have come, dear!

I was so thin-skinned and vulnerable when I first got into recovery that I can totally relate to the difficulty in not taking things personal. I had many incidences over the first few years where I got chewed up and spit out by people whom I had not considered toxic before.

Like you, it ate my lunch. Thank God for 12-step programs, loving sponsors, and positive friends within the rooms of recovery.

It's okay to be hurt. It's also okay to re-evaluate your friendships and establish healthy boundaries for your own recovery. Sometimes that means walking away from people.

Sending you hugs of support!