View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
rachelwahlen

Originally Posted by kat89 View Post
two weeks ago today i dropped my boyfriend off at a 28 day inpatient rehab. we have lived together for almost a year now and being away from him is harder than i expected. after reading many stories online i'm beginning to be very worried about the future of our relationship. his addiction to heroin was very straining on both of our lives. when he finally agreed to go to rehab, he began abusing it even more to "say goodbye" to it. if he had not made the promise to go get help, i wouldn't have been able to stay with him any longer. he began stealing money from me, using my car after i deliberately told him not to, and even asking me to take him to get drugs, which was completely out of the question. i know that getting him into rehab was the first step of a long process. he had been calling me everyday and i go see him twice a week. a few days ago the phone calls stopped. i know that he's doing some serious soul searching and i definitely don't want to interfere with his recovery but i'm so, so scared he's going to leave me when he gets out. i've stuck by his side through everything and i know he wants to get better for us but now i'm second guessing everything. i just don't know what to do or how to handle any of this. any advice?
I can certainly relate to your concerns after having a son and a husband in addiction and in rehab. I found worry solved nothing and the Lord dealt with me to change myself and how I react to others. I began to realize that I can't change anyone but myself. This has helped me tremendously to cope with everyday life. While he is in recovery and working on himself this would be a good time to work on yourself. This is your time and God will get you through it.