Old 01-22-2012, 03:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
NewBeginning010

OK, based on this post I just read all of this article. Wow, the effects of drinking alcohol & binging in particular on our bodies/brains are even more severe than I knew (brain damage etc.). Thanks for bringing up the subject, so happy to be sober & I hope you find your path.

Have a read: http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...22-1/25-34.pdf

Possible mechanisms contributing to kindling during alcohol withdrawal. Repeated binge drinking followed by
abstinence leads to repeated withdrawal episodes, resulting in increasingly severe alterations of brain functions. The
alterations include (1) a progressive imbalance between suppressive (i.e., inhibitory) and stimulating (i.e., excitatory)
influences (i.e., neurotransmission) on brain function, (2) disturbances in certain hormonal systems (i.e., neuroendocrine
dysregulation), and (3) other neurochemical perturbations. The changes result in increasingly severe withdrawal
symptoms, including seizures, anxiety, toxic effects on nerve cells (i.e., neurotoxicity), and altered perception of
alcohol’s effects. Any of those symptoms may increase the patient’s potential for relapse and vulnerability to brain damage.