Thread: shaun00 step 4
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TheJungianThing

I've done several written inventories throughout my time in AA. I am not yet disciplined enough to do a nightly written review.

Inventory 1: Quick grudge list no columns. At the end of which I saw how much alcohol controlled and dominated my life. I also saw how several things from my past that I cast blame upon others for were actually my fault. My fault because of alcohol. The interesting pattern there is those items were the usual items I used to justify my drinking. Might not have done it "by the book" but I got free of those resentments and it reinforced both my 1st Step and 3rd Step. My experience.

Inventory 2: Whole life resentment and fear. Shortly after Inventory 1 my then sponsor said I didn't do it right. He mentioned "we went back through our lives". Lot of women on that list especially in the fear department. Came away from that inventory with the sense that my reaction to life was in general poor, like a spoiled rotten brat who didn't get his way and threatened to hold his breath and turn blue. Spoke to a priest as a fifth step. Was told that wasn't what the Big Book said to do. Disagreed with the then sponsor and showed him it was in fact what I was supposed to do. Sent me a scathing email and I didn't understand it. The result of that 4th and 5th was a sense of freedom and an awareness that my life was not mine to take.

Inventory 3: Sex inventory. My new sponsor had me answer questions out of the 12 and 12. Acted like a pretty big baby when the wife wasn't in the mood. I would selfishly want / expect things not taking into consideration that maybe she was tired and not in the mood. I'd throw a mini tantrum, silent treatment, elbow into my pillow and restless sleep. Always took it personally, like she didn't want to because I wasn't good enough.

Inventory 4. A few years down the road had a problem with a work associate. A female. THis wasn't a written inventory as much as a verbal inventory / fifth step at the same time with a sponsor. His conclusion - I was unwilling to work for a woman. The change, I woke up to that and had no problem working for women anymore.

Inventory 5. Was taking a new guy through the steps. Wrote down some current resentments as a sample for him. Showed me some seflishness that existed that was getting in the way of my effectiveness in my new role as father. Hey 38 years of being a selfish, self-centered, do what I want when I want and all of a sudden have the responsibility of being a father - I had to change. This pointed out some areas where I needed to change.

Inventory 6: Going through Steps 1-9 again. Asked my sponsor about how he wanted me to do a fourth step. Was sponsoring a new fellow and was going to go through the steps with him. Told him I'd submit to my sponsor's directions. My sponsor had me answer all the questions in the 12 and 12. Very fruitful for me. Painful too. I got to see how my continued selfishness was actually depriving me of time with my son. Work, school, meetings and sponsorship weren't getting in the way - my affinity for video games and "relief" was.

Inventory 7: Big fight with mom. Resentment only. Wow. Great fifth step.

Inventory 8: Took my mom through Joe and Charlies Resentment and Fear sheets. She was quite resentful about the way she perceived herself being treated after my daughters were born. I made the list, my wife, my mother in law. The greatest thing about it was - I identified so much with the root of my moms issues. Pride, envy, fear. She said she got a lot out of it, I know I did. Especially a deeper love and understanding of my mom. What a gift. And the best news is that eventually - those fears and resentments lost power over her and she got over them.

Inventory 9: TBD. But it will be soon. It's time. I'm taking a fellow or two through the steps so I'll probably do them by the Big Book. After that I'm doing the Catholic Rite of the Sacrament of Penance, examination of conscience. There's a host of questions on that. Going to back to my church soon and need to get into the practice.

You guys are awesome, thanks so much for keeping me inspired to doing this work - even if I don't always do it right - what I've done has always been so rewarding I don't suspect it will stop.