Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Pigtails

Hi Desperado. I can relate to you as I have social anxiety, I'm shy and reserved (except when I was drinking... my "bottle personality" was outgoing and fun, if not downright obnoxious), and I too am just starting my own business and learning how to deal with people and situations sober. I think that most humans get nervous and scared and anxious about meeting people, but as problem drinkers, we escaped having to deal with this issue by turning to alcohol, and now we have to just put our best selves out there and let people take us or leave us, and feel confident in ourselves. I know that's not always easy, and I'm working on it, with AA, meditation, therapy, good nutrition and trying to care more about how I look and working out etc. But mostly I just tell myself I just have to go for it and I usually feel stronger once I come out the other side, sober and having survived a social situation! Ironically I think I did many silly/stupid things around people when I was drunk, but I didn't notice it or care because I had my buddy alcohol giving me my liquid courage and my false sense of self-esteem. Now that I'm working on true self-esteem, I don't make nearly such a fool of myself, but I am more self-conscious since I don't have the mask of alcohol to hide behind. Best wishes, you can do it!