View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by CamilleBelle View Post
Why would I still want to drink?? I go from KNOWING I can do this, to feeling like a lost little girl in just a day or two. Thinking "one or two" wont hurt... but it usually does, some way or another... Why can I quit so easily for breif amounts of time, just to return to the same freaking thing!?!
Are you stopping because you think you will feel bad when you drink? If so, this is fear-based quitting, and here is what usually happens. You feel bad after a bout of drinking, so you stop, telling yourself that you are stopping because it feels bad. However, there is another part of you that knows perfectly well that there was once a time when drinking felt really, really good, and that part of you may never go away.

So, you hold out with this fear-based strategy for a while, but eventually, you start to forget the pain, which was your reason for quitting. Unfortunately, since you won't easily forget the pleasure you once derived from drinking, a little voice in your head starts talking. It says something like "Come on, Camille, just a little won't hurt, if you're careful. Besides, how do you really know that things will be bad. It might be wonderful instead, just like the good old days."

Does any of this sound familiar? If so, try shifting your perspective. Instead of quitting simply because drinking will feel bad, presume that drinking will always feel absolutely marvelous, but that you will nevertheless forsake that particular synthetic pleasure. By doing it this way, in contrast to fear-based quitting, it won't matter if you forget all the bad stuff, which you probably will.