View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by aeo1313 View Post
These posts are confusing to me and make me wonder if I belong here and am making too much out of something. I drank 1-3 times a week almost every time till wasted- would vary on amount depending on what I was drinking. That amount was too much for me and was making my life and depression worse, plus causing a 15 pound weight gain in one year. That amount caused me to make stupid and dangerous decisions. For the past 7 months or so I have added some vicodin to the mix, but not huge amounts bc I only had a limited supply at any given time. My drinking is more than it was last year though, and the year before, so maybe in a few more years I would be even worse off. Rather not find out.
You're right to be confused Aeo.....

This thread and those like it ARE confusing. Susan's post above should clear things up and I see that you "liked" it, so that's a good thing.

Sometimes, we all like to feel important....sometimes, some of us can feel that way by bragging about how much we drank. I've done it too......most of us have done it. The kicker though is that alcoholism has nothing to do with quantity, frequency, what time of day, beer vs wine vs liquor, none of that stuff.

Alcoholism is about control when you're drinking (or lack thereof), the ability to "just say no" and stay stopped on your own power, and how life's going when you are "stopped." My AA sponsor (for the past 3.5 yrs) is a stone-cold alcoholic. He drank (in his last 5 yrs of drinking) maybe 3-6x per year. My best friend, my old drinking buddy..... he drank probably 3 half-gallons of Captain Morgans per week. Guess what, my sponsor's a real alcoholic whereas my buddy is not.

You'll notice (and this isn't a slam.......just an observation) that nobody with a Last Drink Date that they're public about has a couple years of more sobriety in this thread until you posted your question / made your statement. There's a reason for that..... because they know how threads like this can be misleading and someone might say, "gee, I don't drink like those folks......I MUST be OK."

Aeo, you wanna learn about alcoholism and how to overcome it......on a website like this..... keep an eye on who's posting (and who's not). Just because a thread goes up in the Alcoholism area doesn't mean what's being discussed has anything to do with real actual alcoholism.