Thread: Introduction
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cocteau

Introduction

I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd give a brief introduction. I'm not sure if this is the right place or not.

I'm a 40 year old male and have been drinking since around age 13. I'm mostly just a weekend drinker, binging every weekend night to feel drunk and feel "good", and like most binge drinkers, I often do stupid things when I'm drunk that I regret the next day.

Thank God, I've never lost a job, been arrested, or got a DUI for drinking - though too many times I've driven when I shouldn't have. But I've done many stupid things while drunk and have often feel great regret and shame.

I've been trying to quit drinking off and on for a long time, then I tried moderation (which didn't work for me). I really want to quit drinking once and for all; I hate the harm that drinking does to me and my family. I'm too old for this cr*p.

Of the methods I've come across, AVRT seems to offer the best possibility for me and my plan is to again give it a try.

I'm glad I found this forum to discuss AVRT; I previously had joined the Rational Recovery forum but it wasn't a very active forum (probably because they charge money) and I found the moderator to be harsh. She would claim every choice in your life is based on supporting the Beast (where you live, who you married, where you work, etc) and anytime you asked a question, the answer was inevitably "What are your plans for the future use of alcohol?" Yes, maybe their is validity in the hardline approach, but I was hoping to find a place where I could openly discuss AVRT and get advice. Who knows, maybe I'll give it another try at some point.

Mark