View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
BackToSquareOne

I realize this thread is about AVRT in regard to drinking but has anyone tried the technique with other things? I used a technique from meditation, the idea is that you look at your thoughts as an outside observer, examine the thought, ask yourself it's rational and if not let it go as opposed to dwelling on it. For example if your angry, anxious, depressed or you feel any of the fear based stuff entering your consciousness you examine the thoughts behind those things and ask if they're rational, in most cases you'll find they are not. It may not always get rid of the bad stuff 100% but it does take a lot of power out of it.

Here's an example of the application, I had to go to a court hearing last week and was getting all stressed out and anxious about it. I examined the thoughts behind it and realized that they were all just fear based stuff. Things always work out one way or another and almost 100% of the time it's the thoughts that turn the small stuff into major obstacles.

So then, why couldn't you use Rational Recovery in a lot of different ways. Instead of the addictive voice, substitute the anger, anxiety, fear or whatever voice, recognize it for what it is and instead of making yourself crazy over those things realize that they're all based on thoughts that arise from a part of your brain that wants to convince you that they're rational when in fact they are not?