View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Innerchild
Grateful AA member

I was given one librium when I ended up in the Crisis unit drunk. I didnt take it after because I didnt need it. Once I was admitted into psych unit for depression they monitored me for alcohol withdraws by checking my blood pressure and HR every hour. Thank God I was not going through withdraws from alcohol.

They gave me one ativan and I refused to take it after because I have an anxiety disorder that came before the alcohol. I was using alcohol to treat it. Once I was discharged four days later I admitted myself into another hospital for depression. They started giving me Ativan but the med nurse told me they would not discharge me on that stuff and when I told psychiatrist that it made me feel numb and I liked it bc it didnt make me think she told me it works like alcohol and getting hooked on that stuff would give me bad withdrawal symptoms and took me right off it.

I know that they only gave benzos to those who were hooked on xanax and only to taper the patients off of them. One patient was hooked on them and got mad they reduced his dose.

I dont think its a good idea to give anyone benzos for a long period of time. One of there therapists told me that people get addicted because of the "high" feeling and when that wears off most will pop another and thats how people get hooked. I was also told those on the detox floor for alcohol or drugs were always asking for them to help with their withdrawal symptoms but were not just given out bc they are highly addictive.