View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I missed this thread when you started it IHN but as I read it, at first I smiled but that smile was short-lived. I remember when I was trying to get sober. I'd go maybe a couple days and then BAM, I'd get drunk......and I mean REALLY drunk. Wake up, hate myself more than I did yesterday (which was already off-the-charts levels of hate), swear that was the last time, and do the whole damn thing over again.

Each time I hit a couple days, I'd start to get excited.....but then that excitement was quickly displaced with the fear (or the realization) that I'd have to keep this up FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. I sure didn't know everything but I pretty-much knew that I couldn't keep myself sober forever. It also started to become apparent to me that I'd need to get this sobriety thing.......forever.......OR ELSE. (and the "or else's" were kicking my butt darn good).

That realization however, is what got me to give AA a try. LOL.....I didn't necessarily WANT their solution early on but it was obvious I was running out of options.