View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bless5

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
(((((Perhapslove)))))

Guess it's time to give the other side of the coin again. My story. I was 33 1/2 years old in Early January of 1979 when my parents and my family said NO MORE. If I called on the phone they would hang up, if I came to the door, it would be shut in my face, and if I tried to or stole from them they WOULD call the police. They told me IT WAS MY PROBLEM and I WAS GOING TO HAVE TO BE THE ONE TO FIX IT.

It took me another 2 1/2 years and the last 1 1/2 of that I lived on the streets of Hollywood, but I did find recovery. It WAS my problem and I WAS the one that was going to have to fix it. and ........................................ I did.

I can honestly tell you all these years later, of all the 'things' my folks did for me .................bailing me out, paying my rent, giving me money, NONE OF IT, yes I said NONE OF IT, compares to the GIFT they gave me. That 'gift' was BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR ME.

To this day, 30+ years in continuous recovery, I STILL SAY, the very BEST thing my parents EVER did for me was LETTING ME GO.

I understand, after many talks with my folks, that when they took that step it was because they had definitely reached ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. My mom told me that she knew without a shadow of a doubt, that if they did not 'shut me out' she and my dad were going to have to go being in strait jackets, locked in a padded cell.

So ................................. by 'letting her go' and trusting that her HP will take care of her you are giving her a HUGE GIFT. The ''gift" of taking Responsibility For Herself.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
What a powerful message of hope. THanks for sharing your story!