Old 01-07-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
dvm2015

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
Yes, people do deal with their alcoholism in different ways. Friends and family deal with the alcoholism of their loved ones in different ways, too. 12 step programs (AA, NA, Al-Anon, Nar-Anon, etc.) are well known and help many, but they are not the only option nor are they necessarily the best option. From an empirical standpoint, interventions based on cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) have been shown to be at least as effective as 12 step, which is faith-based. If you're interested in learning more about how that might help you, SMART Recovery (which is based on CBT principles) has a family and friends support group you can join online. For more information, look here: Family & Friends - An Alternative to Al-Anon and Intervention
Thanks. Went to my first al-anon meeting last night and heard horror stories, it gave me less hope that loving an alcoholic will ever get easier or that our relationship will ever be healthy again. Im also not one to speak up in a group so it makes me uncomfortable. I see a cognitive behavioral psychologist too but not sure how much that really is helping since I'm feeling so low and her only suggestion was "your asking too many questions." I just dont think people really understand me. (and the one that did, left me) I was interested in working on the 12 steps just to make myself better and maybe be able to leave this relationship up to fate without questioning, crying, and being hopeless about everything but I dont know where to start. How do people start doing steps??? is there a book that guides you through them??? (I know in AA they use a book) It may sound dumb but I really just dont kno. I appreciate the caring response from you tho. It really does help when all else seems hopeless in life.

I will also check into the Smart recovery page as well. Thank you