Old 01-06-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by LiveLikeGold6 View Post
I'm super excited to get back into my meeting and meet my new sponsor and hear exactly what I need to hear each day BUT im a naturally lazy person (excuse?) and I work full time and just want to gorge myself with food and watch tv in my bed when I get off work.

How do you guys do it?
It's a matter of priorities. If doing what we wanted would get us sober, that's what we'd do. Sadly, doing just what we wanted is what GOT us into this pickle to begin with.

One thing's for sure though, if you're an alcoholic, it's pretty much a decision of change or die....and that's some serious motivation generating reality. Whether you choose to believe that and/or follow it is up to you.

It helped me when it sunk in that what I wanted.....didn't really get me happy, not for long anyway. The happiness I got would always disappear before long. What I'd always done was try to get "more" of what I wanted......thinking that would work. It didn't. It was suggested that maybe what worked for everyone else would work for me - namely, if I'd be willing to do what they did, I'd probably get the happiness they had. I sure wasn't accustomed to doing things I didn't WANT to do or feel like doing.....but I was backed into a corner so I gave it a shot. Whaddya know......they were right. Doing what I NEEDED to do rather than what I WANTED to do finally started to pay off in the happiness I'd always been looking for.