View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
Nope - remission only. One sip and the disease is totally back. There is a huge difference between cured and in remission.
Only if you intend to drink again. Otherwise, there is no difference.

Cured would mean that one would no longer be an alcoholic and woulld be able to drink normally. Simply not going to happen for any alcoholic.
Except that alcoholics aren't the only people that don't drink. One third of the US population abstains from alcohol, and world-wide, about 50%, to say nothing of the Muslim world.

You might think I'm splitting hairs or engaging in semantics - I assure you I am not. Precise thinking is absolutely essential to defeat the beast in our heads. Cured plays into the beast's hand - quite simply, I'm definitely not going there. I can live with remission - thinking I'm cured would be a death sentence.
That's certainly your prerogative, but I have no need for such tactics myself. The only precise thinking I need is planned, permanent, unconditional abstinence, which renders me indistinguishable from anyone else that doesn't drink. I will actually go even further than to say that I am "cured" and say that I am not an alcoholic, and therefore do not need a cure.