Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bonami

dvm, I am sorry you are hurting. I understand some of what you are going thru because the recovering alcoholic in my life has chosen to shut me out also. It's not a romantic relationship, he's a good friend. We worked together for 15 years, saw each other nearly every day, and became good friends and confidants. He was always a heavy drinker but he spiraled out of control over the last year, and as a result, he nearly lost his family and he did lose his job, even tho he went to rehab and has been working on his recovery.

He knows he has my support and friendship, but since he went to rehab, he's gone back and forth about staying in contact. Right now he doesn't want any. It does hurt to be set aside, and I miss him and our friendship very much. But I have come to understand that early recovery is very hard, he's still fragile, and I know that losing the job turned out to be a huge setback for him. Worrying about my feelings isn't something that he is or should be focusing on.. And I also know that there is nothing I can do to help him at this point. he knows where to find me if and when he wants to reach out.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having hope that your boyfriend will want a relationship with you again some day. I haven't given up on my friend yet but I know he's not capable right now of being the friend he used to be. But you can't dwell on the hope; you have to focus on yourself. I know it's hard to distract yourself when you miss someone but focusing on school and your goal of becoming a vet (great goal!!) will help you. Keep reading and posting here, there is much wisdom to be found. Sending you strength!