Old 01-05-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thumper

Originally Posted by skippernlilg View Post
DVM2015: What a great goal for you!!

Ah, see? His heart isn't his to give to you or anyone else right now. He's looking for it, and with a recovering A, there is no guarantee of if/when they will even find it.

I'm sorry you're going through this trouble. Focus on what's good in YOUR life, and find out about Al-anon nearby. The face to face support is immeasurable in its worth!
:ditto:

His life is a mess right now. If he wants to get it in order he has to focus on that and not a relationship. I'm sorry I know that is hard for you. Alcoholism is forever. It is a really really big deal and recovery from alcoholism is a long range intensive thing. His conflicting messages aren't a reflection of you. They are a reflection of the war in his head. The voice of addiction is speaking very loudly to him and if he is going to maintain his recovery he is going to have to work very very hard. There isn't room for anything else right now. Only his sponsor and recovery program can help him with that.

Also, none of us go back to the way we were. Life experiences change who we are - and that is how it should be. Keep moving forward in your life. Make your life the best it can be based on the choices you make each day. Watch out for your own best interests. You are responsible for that.

He has let you go, and as painful as that is right now it was a good thing for him to do because he is falling apart at the seams. The goal for all of us is not to look back over our shoulder, but to look forward. Thoughts going out to you during this painful time.