Old 01-05-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dvm2015

Originally Posted by Sail48 View Post
DVM, I'm only gonna say you should focus on your degree. Becoming a doctor in any field of study was in the planning stages years before you were accepted as a student. Remember your goals and he will work on his. I am currently working on mine with my wife of 21 years leaving us ( I have 3 kids ages 17 to 20). Its tough for me to focus on getting my life back together and I'm not even in school. I know how hard it is for you in more ways than one.... My wife left because of alcohol and my father was a veterinarian. Its tough enough getting through the vet program let alone juggling a good relationship without hangups. Let him do his thing and you do yours, atleast until you complete YOUR goal. A big hug and reassurring smile to you....now go get that doctorate, you'll be glad you did!
Thank you for the positive support. I know I cant let this blow my school because ive wanted to be a veterinarian since I was like 5. I've had other relationships fall through because of me being away for school. This one is just so much more important to me because we both were so in love and had such a good friendship for such a long time... so I'm trying to focus on me but still have hope that he may be able to work on himself especially since hes so young. I just have no other experience with alcoholics so I dont know if what he is going through is something he can even work on and get over in the future or if he will be like this forever....? Everyone around me though wants me to just move on and not love him anymore so its hard. Honestly trying to move on or even not focus on him is tougher than being in vet school.