Old 01-02-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

I am glad you are here. You have found a wonderful resource for support and information.

I am sorry for the circumstances that brought you here. You are not alone, and we understand.

I understand alcoholism. Let me try to share some information to help you understand what he is saying and doing.

Alcoholics will say and do anything to protect their addiction.
That includes lies and half-truths.

Alcoholics believe they suffer from "terminal uniqueness". Their life circumstances are so painful that they MUST self-medicate with alcohol to cope. i.e., "If you had my past - you'd drink to forget too!"
The truth is that their past is in the past. Their choices today are exactly that - their own unhealthy choices that they make freely, daily.

Alcoholics only let you see the side of them that looks normal. They can manipulate situations so you see them slightly buzzed vs. black out drunk. They can and do maintain sobriety for extended periods by telling themselves that they are normal and they can reward themself after ____ number of days/weeks without alcohol.
Skypes are not giving the true picture of his lifestyle. His finances, his day-to-day coping skills, his attitude/anger after a bad day at work, his reactions to life.

I think your gut is telling you the truth of this situation.
You know that you would be giving up a community of support and comfort to live isolated with someone who lies/manipulates/blame-shifts and is in denial about how much power alcohol has over his own life.
By following him while he is active in his addiction, you would be giving control of your life to alcohol too.

Have you looked into attending Alanon meetings in your community for face to face support? Alanon really helped me.

Please keep reading and posting. We understand.