View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
MentalLoop

Ok - one more and if I have gone too far, please forgive me. Have you ever watched the original exorcist movie? You know the actual juicy part when the little girl is on the bed being exorcised and the two priests are spraying holy water on her and chanting, etc. That is each and every one of us with alcohol......As we begin our sobriety journey - The exorcism, for the first few days anyway (sometimes before we quit, and sometimes after), we are the little girls on the bed, but the person talking is the alcohol or the devil as the case may be. Each of us reading the posts, well we are like the priests. Although we see you the fragile human being that we all want to care for and protect, we know that the words being written (spoken) are actually the alcohol talking, not you. What we are doing now is spraying the holy water on you, chanting our prayers, and damning the alcohol back to hell.

You want proof? Take a random sample of posters and go back to read their very first posts (say 50 of them). The one where they "come out". I think you will be shocked to see how many of us never had the shakes, how many of us never drank in the morning, how many of us never fell down drunk or detoxed. The problem is, with so many of us justifying how "not" bad we were, but all seemingly identical - who do you think was talking in our initial posts - US OR THE DEVIL?

BTW - The last thing i am trying to do is be biblical or preachy.....this is not intended to be religious, just paralleling the movie.