View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
MentalLoop

Bayliss - a few days back i posted to another member of the site that when you start to understand "Poor me, poor me, pour me a drink" as everything but sarcasm, is when you are actively starting the road to recovery. Because i can see that you are in a pretty dark place, i'm going to share with you what this little obnoxious, irritating phrase has come to mean to me. Many times over the last few years i have had tough days - either professionally, emotionally or physically. The moment that adversity struck, i made sure that my 5PM plan was ready and able....wine and/or scotch. If you think about it, it was my sorrow, anger and self pity that rushed me to the bottle because i had to quiet that noise in my head. I think what all of us now realize is that on your way to sobriety, you at all costs have to avoid falling into the same trap of sorrow and self-pity. Because if you do, guess what you are going to reach for? I'm certain that the more you are reading some of these posts of people trying to snap you out of it - you are probably retrenching even further. Nobody understands, everybody is against you......i'm certain if not your arm, then your mind is reaching for the bottle. All of us replying to you are actually trying to build your confidence - give you mojo so to speak. Give you faith and belief that if you stand up right this very second to that bottle of gin, you will actually stand. Pour it down the sink and kick the sh*t out of it. But whatever you decide, don't get sorrowful. Snap out of it. Even if you need to get cocky and pretend you are more powerful than alcohol - do it! Just don't get caught up feeling bad for yourself, because that is one of the primary reasons we have all reached for the bottle at some point in our lives.

Poor Me, Poor Me, Pour Me A Drink......CUNNING; BAFFLING; POWERFUL!! Can't stress this enough.