View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 12:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Xyphen

I know you probably went to sleep and though AA doesn't quite work for me (I'm looking into other support group options) I can quote a few passages from the Alcoholics Anonymous book that classifies the alcoholic.

Moderate drinker:
"Moderate drinkers have little trouble in giving up liquor entirely if they have good reason for it. They can take it or leave it alone"

Hard drinker:
"Then we have a certain type of hard drinker. He may have the habit badly enough to gradually impair him physically and mentally. It may cause him to die a few years before his time. If a sufficiently strong reason - ill health, falling in love, change of environment, or the warning of a doctor - becomes operative, this man can also stop or moderate, although he may find it difficult and troublesome and may even need medical attention."

True alcoholic:
"But what about the real alcoholic? He may start off as a moderate drinker; he may or may not become a continuous hard drinker; but at some stage of his drinking career he begins to lose all control of his liquor consumption, once he starts to drink." "He does absurd, incredible, tragic things while drinking." "He is seldom mildly intoxicated." "He may be one of the finest fellows in the world. Yet, let him drink for a day and he frequently becomes disgustingly, and even dangerously anti-social."

There is more but I just wrote what I had highlighted during my short stint in rehab about a year ago. Like I said, AA wasn't for me. But there are millions of people who find help through the twelve step philosophy that AA utilizes. And this book really does hit home with a LOT of issues of mine. It might be an interesting read for you. I hope this helps.