Old 12-27-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
bluebelle

I would be really angry if one of my step-daughters did this. My advice would be to stay out of his drama as much as possible. It sounds like you need to dis-engage from him for awhile. He needs space to figure himself out and decide what he wants You've given hi advice about working a 40-hour workweek, etc. However, the only way he can discover that is if he is on his own. It's good that you have kicked him out of the house, and you need to stick with that. Have you changed the locks? You might want to go ahead and tell him that you are going to put out his stuff if he isn't out by a certain time. You might end up needing to put it in a storage facility or something so that it is not at your house. Otherwise, he is going to have an excuse to come there. It's great you provided him with the prepaid college and the lessons. However, he is an adult now and his decisions are his own. If he messes up, then he will have to pay the consequences. I don't think he sounds incredibly immature for 22. I have a step-daughter that we had to kick out of the house twice. She seemed like a mess for awhile. We would have gladly paid for college classes, if she had gone to them. She is very smart, but has chosen not to go to college. We also had to do everything to get her to graduate from high school. You did a great job on that. However, you've done what you can. Let him go and let him live his own life. Our oldest step-daughter now has two jobs and supports herself completely. She is not in a job that we would "prefer" and she isn't in college, but she is taking care of herself. She is much more mature than she was 2 years ago when we had to kick her out. She spent a couple of nights in her car. She spent nights on friend's couches. It took her awhile to grow up, but now that she has, it's incredible. I think your son will do well, he just needs to realize that he is an adult and that his mistakes have consequences. You won't be there to pick up the messes because he's an adult.