View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
MarylandRick

Originally Posted by scarystuff View Post
I really want that beer today though. Funny because the days I expect the cravings to be the worst are no big deal. Like Chirstmas eve - at Jets vs. Giants game. I'm with a large group of people tailgating and everyone is drinking. I was FINE. I drank coffee, water, soda, hot chocolate - and it didn't bother me at all to see everyone else drinking. And I had a great time. I have a much harder time when I'm just home relaxing. I used to drink home alone all the time, so it's really difficult for me now. I don't know what I'm going to do. It really sucks because I work very hard, and I want my home to be a place where I can feel safe and relaxed. Instead I feel like I have to avoid it. I'll just go to the gym today after work and hopefully I can just go home and go to sleep after. Sleep isn't so easy these days either. I hope that gets better soon.
Hey scarystuff. Congrats on making it a week sober. I am very similar to you with regard to not having strong cravings in social situations. I am 5 months sober and have had very little desire to drink when spending time with friends or family who are drinking. My wife and I are boaters and I frequently get asked if it is difficult for me to spend time rafted up with others or down at the docks with our friends. I have no trouble at all. I have more fun sober than I did when drinking. I don't frequent bars as I have no need to, but the few times I have been since getting sober have been fun, as have parties. I just get bored and tired when others begin to get loopy, but for the most part I don't crave a drink at all.

My strongest cravings have come when I am alone, especially at home. When I'm traveling for business and entertaining clients I have had no cravings, but I have had them when I get back to my hotel room in the evening. Like you, I drank to "relax". It was to reward myself for working so hard. Only problem is I'd start to "relax" at 6am in the morning and continue throughout the day. Now I start my days at an early AA meeting followed by breakfast with other members. If not at a meeting I fill the down time with excercise, prayer, meditation or useful projects.

Congrats again on your success, hopefully you were pleased with the outcome of the game. Go Big Blue!