Old 12-27-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
doggonecarl
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by sober4myboys View Post
So here I start with a couple of questions....

(1) Is it normal for me to have this MAD anxiety about quitting? Like maybe now is not the time? (Especially considering this weekend is New Year's and I will be SURROUNDED by alcohol).
Your alcoholic mind is already gearing up, trying to stop you from quitting. The anxiety is your addiction. And as far as when to quit, there is no time like the present.

(2) How will I enjoy all that I enjoy without have a couple beers at the end of the day... or while fishing... or camping... or even just sitting and watching the kids play late into the night?
The same way as million and million of non-alcoholics enjoy life. But as long as you are drinking, or thinking about continuing, you cannot grasp that enjoying life without alcohol is possible. Of course it is. But you need to quit to realize that.

(3) I have quit before and I have been able to drink one or two... I can quit and only drink on weekends, I rarely drink enough to have an actual hangover... Why do I still have a nagging sensation that I am an alcoholic?
As an alcoholic, I clung to the few expections to the rule as justification that I didn't have a problem, and completely ignored every sign that I was an alcoholic. Again, this will become so clear once you have quit.

This is day one...
Welcome!