Thread: Boundaries Lost
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Seren
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by NeverQuit View Post
She suggested to me, on the way home last night, that maybe I shouldn't be with her if I didn't like her getting drunk.
I'm so very sorry to say this, but she is definitely telling you the truth here.

I know I have thought so many times the "if you would only stop drinking/drugging, things would be great!"

It's just not that simple for someone with addiction. She will change her behavior only if and when SHE wants to change.

I finally learned that when it comes to my addicted family members, I don't have to continue subjecting myself to the pain of watching their self-destructive actions. I don't have to spend my life cleaning up after them, making sure they are safe, making sure they feel no consequences of their actions. That's not my job....and it's not yours either.

I can protect my peace and my serenity and not feel guilty about what my loved one's own choices are doing to them. I did not cause the addiction, I cannot control the addict, and I cannot cure the addiction. I'm just not that powerful.

You, too, can learn to be happy again whether or not she is drinking.