View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Frankie12

arlie,

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

I am glad to hear that you had a talk with your husband, and that he is going to be the one driving.

As to your question; I don't speak for others, only for myself. I have been drinking heavily for 5 years, started after a series of personal losses. For the past 3 years I tried to stop drinking repeatedly, 3 months was my longest sober stretch. Each time I relapsed, whether after a few days, a few weeks, or after 3 months, it was because I fell for my own misguided belief that all was well now, I was fine, and I could now drink in moderation.
Well, it never worked out that way, each time I was quickly back to my old drinking patterns, or worse.

I now know that I simply can't drink, controlled use won't work for me. I can not ever take a sip of alcohol again. So this time quitting is different for me, because I know that this is not a temporary sobriety.

I don't regret my decision, arlie. Alcohol is no "friend" to me.
You are young, with a small child, a husband... you have a lot to live for and a responsibility towards your son.
I think if you really do a very honest assessment of your relationship with alcohol, and the real cost of drinking (not just financially), you may see that the chance for a happy future for you and your family is much greater without the presence of alcohol in your lives.

And, yes, please stay away from the wheel when you have been drinking. The consequences of an accident could be disastrous and difficult to live with for the rest of your life.