View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
blackbird7094

'one'.... hehe makes me feel like an alien!!

lolol.. but read this.. it might help you.. I didn't write it but I can't copy and paste link until i have 15 posts....

Diagnosing yourself

No one can diagnose you as having alcohol addiction; only you can do that for yourself. Now most people think that the way this would be diagnosed would be to add up the quantity of alcohol that they consume, or consider how many days per week they drank, and so on. Now all of these factors are important but they are actually not a good predictor of alcohol addiction.

For example, many college students will drink very heavily and very frequently without being addicted to alcohol, simply because they are in a party environment. What could easily pass for real alcohol addiction is actually just alcohol abuse, and there is no real dependency involved.

So how can we tell the difference? There are a few methods you might use to prove it to yourself, but perhaps the most reliable one is to try a prolonged controlled drinking experiment. As ridiculous as it sounds, simply limit yourself to one drink per day for the next year. If that sounds preposterous or too harsh, then you might want to take a closer look at your drinking and if you might be addicted. If you attempt to stick to that schedule and fail to maintain control then you might have a problem. If you refuse the experiment then you might have a problem as well – most “normal” people have no problem sticking to a one drink limit per day.

The other thing you will want to gauge is when you experiment with abstinence. If you cut out the alcohol altogether, does this make you restless, irritable, or discontent? If so then you might have a real problem on your hands.

If everyone is telling you that you have a drinking problem, then you might have a drinking problem. Denial is when we trust our own judgment over that of dozens of our friends and family members. If they are all telling you the same thing then you might want to take a look at it. Remember you can only diagnose yourself with alcohol addiction; no one can do it for you.