View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EricL

I've never had a sponsor that didn't himself have a sponsor. Currently I'm in the middle of a "line"-I have a sponsor who has a sponsor who has a sponsor who also has a sponsor (this is as far up the lineage as I have met since he lives out of state)-additionally, I sponsor men who also sponsor men who are about to start taking men through the work. For me, there is a certain power felt when I can sit in a meeting or at fellowship and see tangible proof of how this message, when not diluted, saves lives.

Everyone sponsors differently, my personal experience has been that a BB sponsor who is active in the work, in service, and fellowship have been the ones I am drawn to. They have traditionally been proficient at showing me precisely how they recovered, precisely how they continually build their relationship with god.

With that said, my sponsorship has been going through the book and getting help with living these spiritual principles. Its never been junior therapist sessions. For some this works, certainly not me.

As far as "many ways to work the AA program"... My experience has been there are two ways to do it-the AA way as laid out in the BB, and then there is "my" way. I tried my take, my opinion, my version of the AA program until I lost everything and surrendered. I learned that I don't have the luxury of trying to adapt a program to fit my biases, prejudices, etc. It came time for me to follow directions, for me it was the message in the book.