View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Everyone I know well (and many I don't even know that well LOL) knows that I am a non-drinker and knows why. That includes my work place, and I have a somewhat "conservative" career, in that the code of conduct extends outside of my work setting. I know this is not for everyone, but I like it this way. I feel happy and free. I don't have secrets that others can use against me like I did for so long when I was drinking. I always felt like a fraud, a fake, a liar, and always had that "if they only knew what a POS I am" feeling...Everyone I date also knows up front that I don't drink.

That said, as far as long explanations to anyone about anything... I don't, unless I feel like it. And that just depends on the day.

When I first came back from treatment I was in the middle of my divorce. My ex said he was going to take the kids and "tell the judge I had been to treatment"...my response, "Um, I'm pretty sure that's going to be viewed as a positive". Duh...

Maybe I am naive or missing something here (both highly possible), but how can being a non-drinker be used against you?