View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SoCalDude

Haon, I can't count how many times, years ago, when I used to venture out to drink with others, how many times I woke up and said, "Holy Crap... I am SO lucky.." It isn't luck though, it is just a matter of time. It could be something small from a DUI and ending up in jail, it could be something major, killing an innocent family of 5 on their way to grandma's house.. You need to rethink not just "Wow I am lucky.." but more, "Wow, everyone else is lucky.." -- They don't get to choose whether or not you drank, they just lucked out not to be around you when drinking.. And I'm no saint, I've been there and done that.. but you need to decide this is the time things will be different, and DO IT FOR YOU... I'm sure your wife and daughter hate to see you drink, but you need to quit for #1.

Keep it up to day 2, and day 3... find other hobbies. Hang out with friends OTHER than those you drink with.. go volunteer at the homeless shelter to see how bad things can get as a result. Those are all things I've done to change my habits.. and I'm only sober for a week, but they've all given me great power to overcome this problem.