Old 12-20-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
blakemadison

newbie here and struggling with addict lies

I've been in a relationship with a person who has been addicted to many prescription meds like Xanax and Vicodin and who knows what else. I let this person go over a month ago. He supposedly "got clean" and was in therapy. Before I finally broke up with him, I would find the drugs and work with his family to get him help, into therapy, etc. I finally had enough a month ago after several of his relapses and walked away. I'm pretty upset today for a few reasons, one of them being his family called me yesterday to tell me they talked him into going to an inpatient rehab facility. I also found out from one of his party friends that he's been running around making up alot of lies about me, including calling me an alcoholic, crazy bi--ch and a whole boat load of other hurtful, crazy lies. He's also told me that his mom was bipolar and so many other things that in the end I found out were all made up.

I guess what i'm struggling with are all the lies and all the demonizing of everyone in the addicts life. I mean, I get why they would lie about money, where they were, etc to cover up addiction. It just seems crazy to me that he could make up the most insane things about people that are simply not true. At one point he called to tell me one day that his ex wife showed up at his work and assaulted him. This story went into seriously great details. I found out his ex wife hadn't been back to the state we live in for several years, much less showed up at his work to assault him.

I was actually doing really well after a month of no contact with this person but it's really hard to deal with all this today when I'm hearing about all this crazy stuff that's been made up about me. He's been running around slandering me to anyone he can talk to. What is this about? Do these addicts just feel like such crap about themselves and so guilty that they have to demonize everyone around them to make themselves feel better about themselves?