Thread: Here we go..
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
KingApe

[QUOTE=lalonder;3211026]Hi everyone.
This is my first time being here and essentially the first time acknowledging I have a problem and I really don't know what to say to be honest.QUOTE]

I think that being honest with yourself is the most important thing. Opening up to people who you trust, whether they are alcoholic or not, can also be very helpful.

When I got sober, I was just so worn out, afraid and miserable, that I just told everybody who seemed remotely concerned with my well-being. I told my family, friends, my boss, coworkers, classmates. I didn't talk their ear off about it. I told them what I had told myself, "I'm an alcoholic. I have absolutely no control over my drinking. If I take another drink, it will kill me, sooner or later."

By opening up to these people, two purposes were served:

1. I found out that a lot of people were very understanding and compassionate. A lot of people were willing to help me.

2. It helped me reiterate to myself my condition. I was repeatedly being honest with myself, thereby taking something that I may have blown off as some "crazy idea" and turning it into a truth. Now that truth about myself always exists in the back of my mind, and it's just another tool in living a sober life.

Peace!