Old 12-14-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
F355

Tyler, I'm in the same boat as you are. I slipped last night too. Why? I'm not entirely sure. I was staying with my family for support, had three nights, and then I decided to head back to my place which is a couple hours away and where I am totally alone. That seems to have been all it took for me to slip up. And it was a pretty nasty slip.

I think from what I've read here/observed, the earliest parts of sobriety are the hardest. You have a major chemical addiction that needs to be broken. It CAN be broken, but the first parts are the trickiest. I'm going to take what has happened to me here as a lesson, and work on developing a more determined plan to keep sober in these early days. For me, I think I really do need the support of those who love me right now. I can't do this alone. I don't think anyone can.

Perhaps the way to start to think about this today is to ask yourself what kind of plan you might develop to help you in the first weeks of sobriety. As another poster put it to me recently, by being an alcoholic we give over our power to alcohol, but by developing a plan of sobriety we reclaim that power.

Best of luck to you my friend.