View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Fenris
Came to Believe

I think a lot of people have tried making deals with their drinking, like you saying that you'll still have a couple of drinks in the evening at home, but not in social situations. I know that I did. I won't doom your attempt to failure, but for an alcoholic like me, that's what every attempt amounted to. That's my experience and I hope you find something useful there.

As for rewarding myself, sobriety itself has been its own kind of reward. Being able to experience and enjoy things that I'd never been sober for before (like my daughter's birthday -- this was her first with a sober father; and I'm really looking forward to Christmas), makes it all worthwhile. But sure, along with that, with the money I save from not getting blasted and blowing through a paycheck -- I'll treat myself to little things here and there. Mostly, I just take comfort and joy from the security of knowing that my bills are paid and I've still got money in my pocket, which was a very rare experience in my drinking days.

--Fenris.