Thread: The Big Book
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Sapling

It's not a religious book...It's spiritual...Having faith in a power greater than yourself. Mine happens to be God....Some people use The group of AA....It's a force greater than yourself that you can have faith in..

I listened to a guy in a meeting one time. Didn't believe in God. He had about 10 years sober. He had a terrible history with his father...So he came up with his conception of God that he believed was a father to him. Didn't look like his father....All loving..All caring...All knowing...The perfect Dad that he never had. He had all the things he didn't get from his father. He prayed to this father morning and night...during the day...Thanked him for a great day...Asked direction..Had complete faith in him. It worked for him. He had contented sobriety based on faith. That's all this program is. If he puts his will and life into the hands of this father that is his "God"...And asks for direction from that Father...He starts to change the way he lives....Doing the next right thing...Treating people better...Being honest...Helping people...And guess what...When you do that...Good things start to happen to you. Your self willed life run riot takes a seat. And a new life starts to emerge..Not real complicated.....Easier than drinking for me. The more faith you have...The better it works. And those 12 steps just take you closer to whatever your Higher Power is. And mine happens to be God.